Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Super Bowl

A couple of weeks ago was Super Bowl XLVII.   Each year I try to watch this game, and some years I succeed, and some years I don’t succeed.  This year I succeeded.
 
Television team sports don’t have much attraction to me, but playoffs or finals in baseball, football, or basketball are something I will watch if given the opportunity.  Mostly I’m just trying to understand why these sports have such a huge following, while hunting and fishing do not.
 
Already I can’t remember which team won.  In fact, I can hardly remember which teams played.  I do know I had fun because I was with a few members of my fishing club at the clubhouse.  The main topic of the day was usually football, but there was just as much excitement over several of the upcoming club activities, and, at least to me, that was far more important than the game on the television.
 
Even though there were only five or six of us, the gathering included more food than we could possible eat, but we did manage to eat most of it.  Chips, dips, cheese balls, and just good ol’ stuff.  Since there were only a handful of us to bring snacks, the diversity was lacking a bit; however, the fun was not diminished because of it.
 
Next year we will try it again, and maybe there will be a few more gathered at the clubhouse for the game, and maybe there will be a bigger selection of snacks.  Already I’m planning what I will bring, and I’m not planning to skimp on anything.  After all, doesn’t ‘Super Bowl’ refer to a dish?
 
This year my contribution was a relative of the cheese enchilada.  I call it Chile con Queso, although it is basically cheese enchilada filling scooped up with tortilla chips or Fritos.  It’s really quick and simple to make, and it can be used as a dip or as a topping for nachos.  Sometimes a bowl and spoon are all that I use, but it is always a hit at ‘man gatherings.’
 
Chile con Queso
 
    2 pounds Velveeta Cheese
    1 pound shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend
    3 (15-ounce) cans no-bean chili (I prefer Wolf Brand or Hormel)
    3 (10-ounce) cans Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Chiles
    ½ cup Crema or sour cream
    1 bunch green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
    Chopped jalapeno peppers to taste
 
Stir all of the ingredients together in a slow cooker, cover, and turn to HIGH for one hour.  Stir all of the ingredients and turn to LOW for 2 hours.  Stir again and serve warm.
 
There are thousands of variations on this recipe, and most of them are pretty good.  Feel free to adjust or change the ingredients to your taste.  Sometimes I’ll throw in a cup or so of roasted corn kernels just because I have them in the freezer.  Also, this recipe can easily be cut in half, but since that isn’t enough for me, I always make the full amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment