Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

Tick... ... ... ...Tock

Time always slows down when waiting for the Annual Wild Game Feed at Irvine Lake.  The next Feed is scheduled for Friday, September 16, 2016, and that's just too long to wait.  Am I right on this?  Tick. 

It's been only 3 1/2 months since the last Feed, and I must say they went by almost unnoticed by me as I always have a full Fall schedule.  But experience has told me the next 7 1/2 months will crawl along at a pace slower than watching paint dry.  And the closer we get to the big day, the slower it will go.  Again, am I right?  Tock.

Every year I try to put into words the fun and excitement of the Feed, but I am woefully inadequate to fully describe the event.  If you've been there, you understand.  If you haven't been there, you've missed one of the greatest man gatherings on this planet (and, believe me, you don't understand).  A man once asked me to narrow down my description to just a single sentence, so I spoke a single, twelve-minute, run-on sentence, and I came nowhere near giving the Feed a quality description.  Tick.

I spend quite a number of hours each year preparing for the event.  Cigars need to be properly humidified, quail eggs need to be flavored and sealed in their jars, and my tent, tables, and boxes of "stuff" need to be obsessed over many times.  Even so, my little contribution is basically nothing compared to the dedication the AWGF members give toward making it a success.  All year they prepare to make the party the very best it can be.  I, for one, am more than willing to let them do their job even if it takes all year to do it right.  But a year is a year.

When I was 6 years old, a year was the equivalent of 'forever,' and I couldn't understand why it took so long.  Now that I'm 66 years old, waiting a year for the AWGF is still the equivalent of 'forever.'  At least I understand why I have to wait.  But a year is still a year.  Am I right on this?  Tock.


No comments:

Post a Comment