Pages

Friday, March 15, 2019

Snail Time

Recently my wife and I took some time to browse through a few antique boutiques, thrift stores, and just plain junk shops.  I grew up with many of the things in these stores as everyday items in my home, so basically I found it to be a trip through memory lane.  But there are always surprises and delights to be found that jog my thoughts in unexpected ways.  One item I saw was a rather large neon green ceramic snail with the shell encasing a clock in its spiral.

Many thoughts went through my mind almost immediately.  My first thought was, “Oh, man that's ugly!"  Then I noticed it was chipped, cracked, and crackled, and I thought, "Who would ever buy that!”  I reached over and looked at the price tag and thought, “!#@$%&*”  I also had a few other thoughts about the absurdity of this thing, but then it dawned on me that this is the perfect representation of waiting on the Annual Wild Game Feed at Irvine Lake to arrive each year. 

On the surface time moves forward at a constant rate with no measurable change in pace.  But there are times when it seems to move so slowly there is almost no perception of movement.  One of those times occurs for me about halfway through the year--not the calendar year, but the Wild Game Feed year.  This halfway point falls on the third Friday in March each year as the Feed is always on the third Friday in September.  From this day in March time moves forward so slowly I find it difficult to even notice.

Am I alone in this?  Does anyone else notice how time just seems to slow to a snail’s pace while waiting for the Feed?  On the plus side, this gives me plenty of time to prepare for the biggest and best man feast on planet earth.  On the minus side, it’s still six months away.  I’ve passed through this doldrum over twenty times, and I know the snail will eventually reach its destination, but the Wild Game Feed is still six months away.  Six long, slow moving, snail crawling months!

There is, however, an event much closer in time involving the Annual Wild Game Feed.  It’s the mailing of the ticket order forms.  That one usually happens about the end of May or the first part of June each year.  I hope you are saving your money guys, because when the forms arrive, they need to be returned immediately.  There can be no hesitation, or there will be no Game Feed for you this year.  The Feed sells out within days every year, and to hesitate is to miss out.  Then the snail will haunt you for an entire year. 

Whether snail time is long or short, this year’s Annual Wild Game Feed will happen on Friday, September 20, 2019.

See you at the Feed!

Meat and Beer!

12 comments:

  1. Anyone get their Invite in the mail, yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean. I don't think so. I've sent out some inquiries to a few Feed members, but I haven't heard anything back. Also, quite a numbers of long time attendees have been asking me about the forms, therefore I am left to assume that nothing has been mailed out. My anxiety level is through the roof. I keep telling myself "Any day now."

      Delete
    2. I called a number of a girl that asked me for my expiration date of my credit card last year and it went to her voice mail...I left a message. Doesn't look good! What will we do?

      Delete
    3. I'm still working on finding an answer. Two or three years ago they didn't send them out until mid-June, so there is a precedent for such a delay;however, no one likes waiting in the dark.

      Delete
    4. I just now found out the order form mailing is expected next week. More or less. Don't know what the delay is, but the forms are in the lineup for the Post Office very soon.

      Delete
    5. This is good news, thank you David!

      Delete
  2. Still nothing....not looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I've sent out inquiries to some of the leadership members, and haven't heard anything back in a while. Sent out more this morning. All I can do is ask and hope to hear back from them. I'll post something as soon as I get a confirmed notice.

      Delete
  3. I just got word the mailing is starting now. The printer had equipment problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We shall see! I'm too old to hold my breath ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried holding my breath once. I gave up when I realized I couldn't breath. I'm told the forms are no longer in the hands of the printer. They have been given to the mailing company. Let's hope so.

      Delete
  5. All is right in the universe again!

    ReplyDelete